Our museum youth theatre groups are inspired by the Horniman amulet collection to create Discovery Boxes of magic and protection.
Each term, the 2 groups work to a particular museum theme. As the Horniman holds lots of amulets and charms in its collection, in Spring Term we used these and the idea of ‘magic and protection’ for inspiration. This theme was also an interesting way to explore ideas of wellbeing resilience with participants.
Before the drama session starts, there is always Safe Space – this is time to do some artwork, relax after school, chat with others and have a snack. During Safe Space the 11-14 year olds have been making a ‘Discovery Box’ of magic and protection.
Here is the group’s description of the box:
This box has been created by the Whatever Makes You Happy Group in Spring 2016 that meet every Monday and use the objects in the Museum to inspire their drama sessions. In our Discovery Box you’ll find objects that represent magic and protection. It includes:
• Potions of protection.
• Handmade amulets.
• Candle light holders to light the way home.
• An individually-designed charm bracelet with a horse shoe for luck, a wand for magic, a symbol for a best friend and a heart for love.
Here are the ingredients to Summer’s Sunshine Magic Potion and powers they could give you:
• One cup of magical gems.
• Three cups of feathers – protection that guides the way.
• Two sparkly bells of happiness and forgiveness.
• Three drops of sweets that tells you the path to go on.
• One magic shell of sound that protects you from danger.
• Finally two blue and yellow see through papers that turn you invisible whenever you want.