Replica brass Vaphio cup with an angular handle bolted in place. Round cup with raised decoration depicting a prancing bull.
- 0 item(s)
- £0.00 View
cup (food service); casting (reproduction)
1 item (description level: whole)
- Broad category
- Anthropology: Ethnography
- Additional names, titles, or classifications
catalogue name: cup (food service); casting (reproduction)
object name: replica brass cup,scenes of bull fighting/dancing
object name (local): cup (food service)
- Greece, Balkans, Europe
- Additional place information
made or collected: Greece
- Materials & techniques
- Additional material & technique information
material: brass (overall)
- overall: 80 x 99 mm
- Additional measurement information
overall: 80 x 99 mm
donor: Burland, Cottie A.
Undefined - 1975-10-18
previous owner: Ohly, W.F.C. Undefined - 1960
- This is a replica of a gold cup found in a tomb at the ancient site of Vaphio, Laconia, Greece and the original is of the late Minoan period, roughly 1500 century BCE.
- Related subjects
association: Food and Feasting
object name: cups (food service)
object name: castings (reproduction)
- Record created 2000-01-22
- Record last updated 2017-03-30
These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. More information on the objects listed on our website.
This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be some errors. The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.
If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us.