The original Horniman Museum and Gardens building was built in 1901, and designed by architect Charles Harrison Townsend in an Arts and Crafts style.
The impressive clock tower - which has become an icon of the Horniman - is made from Doulting Stone.
1911 Extension by Emslie Horniman
Emslie Horniman, son of our founder Frederick Horniman, added to the building in 1911, which housed a Library and Lecture Theatre.
The extension was also designed by Charles Harrison Townsend.
Other examples in London of Harrison Townsend’s work include Whitechapel Art Gallery and Bishopsgate Institute.
Our Victorian conservatory was originally built as an extension to the Horniman family house at Coombe Cliffe, Croydon, in 1894.
Having been abandoned for many years, in the 1980s, the Conservatory was moved to the Horniman Museum and Gardens.
1996 CUE building
This building opened in 1996, designed by local architects Architype using methods developed by Walter Segal.
The building has a grass roof and was constructed from sustainable materials.
Celebrating 100 years of the Horniman, we opened a new extension in 2002.
Designed by architects Allies & Morrison, this provided new galleries, a café and shop, doubled public spaces and re-orientated the museum entrance to face the gardens
Our bandstand, designed by Charles Harrison Townsend, dates from the early 1900s.
In 2012, it was extensively renovated with new oak floorboards and its original weather vane was restored. Screens which blocked the windows for decades were replaced with glass, giving wonderful views over London.
Designed by Walters and Cohen, this building opened in 2012.
A contemporary timber building, it features floor to ceiling windows, a living roof and an outdoor terrace with views of the London skyline
The Pavilion host school groups, lectures, performances, learning events - and can also be hired for other events.