Accessible and fully-supported short term loans from the Horniman collections to other institutions
This project offers Horniman objects on short term loan to other institutions. The objects chosen for the project have either been in storage for a number of years or on display but with limited information.
We will support your organisation throughout the loan to make the process accessible, open and manageable.
We deliver the loan object along with a showcase, lighting, transport, interpretation, and the option of an expert talk or event and publicity for the loan.
All loan and associated costs are covered by Arts Council England making the project available to all.
Current and upcoming displays
- WW1 military bugle at Hall Place and Gardens from 1 September 2018 to 18 March 2019 (as part of their Faces of the Great War exhibition)
- Chimpanzee skeleton at Wimbledon College of Arts from 31 August to 14 December 2018
- Ming Dynasty arrow vase at the Royal Asiatic Society from 14 September 2018 to 2 April 2019
- WW1 military bugle at Eden Valley Museum from 20 March to 30 June 2019 (as part of their Armistice : Peace : Remembrance exhibition)
- Bizen ware Japanese shishi at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance from 29 March to 1 July 2019
- 62 Romanian decorated Easter eggs at Arts Network from 4 April to 17 July 2019
- Chimpanzee skeleton at the Powell-Cotton Museum from 9 July 2019 to mid January 2020
- Friday 29 March 2019, 7:30pm at Eden Valley Museum. Talk by Dr Gavin Dixon: Brass instrument manufacture in 20th Century London
Objects in the project
- Japanese shōgi set
- Ming dynasty Arrow Vase
- Chinese zhenwu figure
- 62 Traditional Romanian hand decorated Easter eggs
- Bizen ware Japanese shishi group
- Three Oceanic pots
- Imbenge, South African beer pot covers
- Swedish Christmas straw goat
- Ferramenta, part of a candomble shrine
- Horse skull
- Taxidermy secretary bird
- Taxidermy pine marten
- Taxidermy badger
- Chimpanzee Skeleton
- Miniature Taxidermy Dogs
- Selection of sawfish rostra
Follow our progress
You can see the locations of some of our current and past Object in Focus Loans on our Loans Map.
For more information on our Object in Focus project and the objects available for loan, please email the project coordinator Sarah Sinka on email@example.com or call 0208 858 8232.