Due to high demand this preview event is now sold out.
Members and Benefactors can get up close with hundreds of beautiful butterflies in this special preview opening days.
The specially-planted habitat is the perfect place to experience butterflies free-flying all around you and to discover amazing facts about the life-cycle and behaviour of these fascinating creatures.
Tickets and time slots
Tickets are free, but you need to book a timed entry slot for the Butterfly House, as there is limited capacity inside. There are entry slots every 15 minutes from 10am until 4.30pm with last admission. The Butterfly House will close at 5pm.
You will need to enter during your 15 minute time slot, however you are welcome to stay and enjoy the Butterfly House as long as you wish once inside.
Advance booking is recommended as you may not be able to get a ticket for your preferred time slot on the day. Advance booking closes at 12pm the day before.
You will need to show your etickets which will be sent to you by email (either on your mobile device or printed) as well as your member or benefactor card on entry.
Location and entry
The Butterfly House is located at the top of the Gardens, behind the Animal Walk and the Prehistoric Garden.
You may need to queue during busy timeslots while the Visitor Host checks your ticket. There will be space for buggies outside of the Butterfly House.
Advice to enjoy your visit inside the Butterfly House
- Please be aware that the butterflies may land on you, on the path or close to you, as they are free flying.
- The Butterfly House is a warm and humid place, so you may not wish to wear bulky coats or jumpers inside. We have lockers inside the Museum.
- You aren't allowed to eat or drink inside the Butterfly House, as it may attract them to you and increase the chance of them leaving with you! It can also attract more harmful pests.
- Please make sure you take care to watch where you step, so as not to crush the butterflies.
- Please do not try to remove them from your clothing, as they are very delicate and may die in the process. Ask a member of staff if you need assistance.
- Please close any bags and pockets (if possible) before entering, as you may discover a butterfly has hidden inside when you get home.
- When you are about to leave, please check your clothes for any butterflies that may have landed on you. We have mirrors by the exit so that you can check your back too.